The post will help you to know “Gender Based Violence And Its Types. Gender Based Violence And Its Types. What is gender based violence (GBV) or violence against women (VAW)? Gender Based Violence And Its Types. What are the types of gender based violence?Gender Based Violence And Its Types. Gender based violence and its types.”
Gender Based Violence And Its Types
Gender Based Violence (GBV) or Violence Against Women (VAW) means an act that is conducted against a woman on the bases of her gender to either threaten or to suffer her. Gender based violence is not the problem of third world countries only as the issue exists in both developed and developing countries. Therefore it is necessary that for solution of the problem steps should be taken both at national and international level.
Types Of Gender Based Violence
Gender based violence exists in many forms in different societies. All the various forms of violence against women (VAW) have been grouped under the headings of Physical, Structural, Cultural, Sexual and Psychological violence. The detail of each heading is given in the following paragraphs.
In this form of violence, the offender hurt women physically. Some common types of physical violence are:
- Use of weapon
When a particular group in a society, by birth, has more access to goods, resources and opportunities as compared to the rest of the group or groups, such discrimination comes under the category of structural violence. Some common examples of structural violence are; relatively more access to education of men than women, relatively more freedom of men in taking decision about their life than women and relatively more opportunities to men for getting a job or starting a business than women, all are the examples of structural violence.
Unnecessary cultural values and customs that exist in our society to merely make a distinction between the two opposite sex is cultural violence. An example of such violence is the difference in design of men and women clothing and shoes.
When a person is sexually violated, it is called sexual violence. Sexual violence has many forms and it can take place under many different situations. Some common forms of sexual violence are;
- Sexual slavery
- Sexual harassment
- Trafficking for the purpose of sexual exploitation
- Forced exposure to pornography
- Forced pregnancy
- Forced abortion
- Forced marriage
- Female genital mutilation
- Virginity tests
There are different forms psychological assaults against women. Some of them are;
- Using Coercion And Threats: threats of hurting, threats of leaving alone, threats of gaining the custody of children.
- Emotional Abuse: Include bad names calling, humiliating her, mind games and making her feel guilty
- Using Isolation: Control her times, activities and contact with others
- Using Children: Threats of gaining the custody of children, physical attack on children to emotionally hurt her, sexual use of children
- Economic Violence: Control her access to family resources such as clothing, shelter, food, insurance and money.
- Using Male Privilege: Insist his position as head of the family and thus has every right to make decisions about all family members.